Sunday, October 26, 2008

Date Nights

There's been some discussion around our house about a date night. As in, Jeremy and myself- no Kyra allowed.

The thing is... as wonderful as that sounds, Jer and I could really care less about a date night.

Is that normal?

I mean. Sure, we'd love to go out, alone, without time constraints, no restrictions on what we can and can't do, no restrictions on what we can or can't say in front of the tiny human. But then again.... we just don't care to have that.

Seriously, is. that. normal?

All my girlfriends go on dates with their spouses. They want to, they have a desire to and most of all they follow through.

A normal response from Jer and myself when presented with the opportunity? Ehh... it'd be nice. And that's it. No more discussion. No planning. No real umph to get the show on the road.

We've had offers from friends to watch our child FOR FREE, and we've turned them down. My MIL even offered to PAY for Jer and I to go out on a date so she could have some alone time with her grandchild... and we turned her down with out a single thought otherwise.

Seems we like each other's company. With ankle biters in tow.

It's been 16 months since Jer and I were alone on a date. 16 months ago we spent 5 days together in Scotland in the middle of deployment. And even then we talked about Kyra non stop. Called home every day. Expressed regret that we didn't bring her along on our trip.

Since then? Not a single day with out the little monster.

I know- we're those creepy, weirdo parents who truly enjoy family time.

So, my question to you is... What in the hell is so damned exciting about a date night that, clearly, Jer and I just don't get?

Oh, and are we as strange and not normal as I think we are? Because, really, what parent doesn't want a date night?

7 comments:

  1. I don't know if my opinion counts since my child is not human, but Jody and I don't like to go out on 'dates' either. We would prefer to sit at home, watch TV and play with Lilly than go out to eat. So I don't think you're weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. our only date since Christmas before deployment (read: nearly 2 years ago) was to go ride rollercoasters. honestly, i think the coasters were the exciting part of getting away without the girls, not necessarily the being alone together, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. D and I don't really care too much about 'date night' either. Erm, I can't even tell you the last one we had or what we did but I think it was well over a year ago and I'm pretty sure I didn't even blog about it. While we love to go to dinner, we both just prefer to be at home on the couch, in comfy clothes and eat popcorn while watching a movie or playing WoW. (Ya, we're complete gamer-geek parents)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think date nights and time alone aren't really important until you want them. When Seth got back from his underway, we took Niki with us everywhere, even to the movies. It was just more fun to have family time. I'm sure that when our kids are a little older and the thrill of parenthood starts to wear off, we'll all be only to glad to have time alone, but right now, it's kinda cool to be a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed. If she cannot come, we're not going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clearly I am the only friend of yours that thinks you need date nights. Now, I love my daughter and the time I spend with her, as does my husband. However, we also like to rekindle the romance of pre-baby. We like to hold hands across the table and look into each other's eyes. We like to take this time to discuss intimate, personal things that don't need to be talked about in front of a child. And while we could discuss at home (on the couch watching tv when the ankel biter is in bed, as seems to be the norm here), why? Am I the only one who gets excited about dressing up for my man (butterflies included) romancing your partner like you did when you were dating? We were a family before our daughter and we will be one when she grows up and leaves. So why not spend some time ALONE and remember why you chose to expand your family in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont think you are weird. My parents didn't go out on dates until after I was in high school. They certainly didn't go anywhere without us over night. My parents are the kinds of "creepy, weirdo parents who truly enjoy family time" Often my mom wants us over now because she hasn't quite learned how to be with just my dad.

    ReplyDelete