Monday, September 01, 2008

Tornados, Coyboys and Weddings

As I type this, Kyra and I are currently in the Land of the CornHuskers with tornado warnings all around us. Fun times we're having here, I'll tell ya.

No, we're actually having a blast. Okay, so the tornado warning has put a slight damper on the fun times but that will be all right. I'm not all that worried. There's a brutal rain storm coming through. Flashes of lightning, high winds, small hail- all the exciting things I enjoy when thunderstorms roll around. I love the beat of the heavy drops on the windows. Quite calming.

Since leaving for the Land of the CornHusker on Monday, Kyra has run a fever for two days (Monday and Tuesday), found her first tumble weed of the year, which she insists is actually an umbrella:

Rode a pony called SnowBall:
Stalked this cowboy around as he told her all about the horses:
Who even went to find some hay for Kyra to feed the horse:
The two of them were a match made in heaven. I even taught Kyra to say "Hey, Cowboy." which was really adorable. The way I see it, Jeremy is hell-bent on Kyra going strait from Catholic School to the Convent and I'll make damn sure he at least has a good reason to send her there. Talking all seductive to cowboys 'ought to do it, eh?

I also took my turn on a horse. A 45 minute ride, out to the base of the bluffs and back with another cowboy who told us about how he met his stepmother when he was 7 and by the time he was 8 there hasn't been a day that goes by he hasn't wanted to stab her to death.

True story.

My girl friend, Joelle, and I were the only ones on this trail ride. The cowboy leading the expedition was a big'ol feller, vertically and horizontally. I have no doubt he could have overtaken the two of us with no problems. And my horse here:
Danny was his name, was quite fond of eating the tall grass, all along the way. He certainly wouldn't have been a very good get-a-way horse if the cowboy decided he didn't like Joelle or myself either....


We also went to a wedding for a bride and groom I have never met. Beautiful wedding, but the reception proved to be a bit on the funny, what the hell?, style. Like the boy here:


Who's parents clearly plucked him out of the yard, put him in the car and headed off to the wedding and reception. A sleeveless, number 28 jersey shirt, blue plaid pants, and black shoes with red lights that flashed on with each step.

Classy, yo.

He wasn't the only classy one, the head chef had apparently brought his son who was wearing a camouflage hat, sea foam green, over sized t-shirt and blue jean shorts with a dirty pair of shoes. It's one thing to bring your child to an event you're working, but then you bring him in his best play clothes? Maybe I'm a snob- but I just think that is ta-cky!

Oh, but the funniest, haha, moment was when the groomsmen attached a ball and chain to the groom for the couple's first dance. My pregnant bladder hardly held things together for that one.


Classic.

I'll try to update at least one more time before we leave. I make no promises, but I'll do my darnedest to tear myself away from all the fun times we're having to let you guys in on a good story or two.

While you waiting for me, why don't you fill me in on how you would have handled the Cowboy who wanted to kill his stepmother situation.... I'm still a little gaped mouth when I think about it.

3 comments:

  1. I miss ya!! I had to chuckle at all your adventures and the poor little boy in his "Sunday Best." But more so that you posted his mug for the whole internet to see, classic! LOL!!

    Hope you're having fun. The killer cowboy would have freaked me out a bit, too! The ball and chain- priceless!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if we were going to get an update while you are away. It sounds like the locals are certainly keeping you busy. They have wasted no effort to show you a good time...horror cowboy stories, fashion lessons and a weather report.

    You have never one to mince words, and now you pictures to back up your otherwise unimaginable adventure. It goes to show you are meant to be here at the Mason Dixon Line. I miss you...Nevaeh misses Kyra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have concentrated very hard on the fact that he hasn't stabbed her, even if he wanted to.

    Keep your head down out there. We want you back in one piece.

    ReplyDelete