Monday, August 18, 2008

Naked Barbies and Hair Bows

Pink. Pink. Pink. Pink. Pink. Pink. Pink.

The magical color of the new babe is PINK!

Or, at least the ultra sound technician said she's pretty sure the Termite is a girl. The conversation went something like this:
Her: Well, I don't see any boy parts, so it's probably a girl.
Me: (later on in the ultra sound process) Do you think if you get a good shot of the baby's area again you can check to make sure it really is a girl and not just hiding it's stuff between it's legs or something.
Her: (clicking back to a picture she saved) No need. See these three lines right here? Thats usually what we look for to determine if it is a girl.
Me: And there's no way it's hiding anything more in there?
Her: I'm pretty sure it's a girl.

And that's where the conversation on that topic ended.

I'm not exactly completely convinced. Phrases like "don't see any boy parts" and "pretty sure" aren't quite the definite "IT'S A GIRL! SEE! THERE'S THE PROOF!" that I was hoping for.

All though, she did print out a picture with an arrow and the the words "Girl Parts!" pointing to three tiny white lines. And all the research I did upon coming home said three white lines is proof of a females, um, parts.

So, I'm mostly convinced.

We're thrilled and excited. At least I am. Jeremy mumbled something during the ultrasound about him being Hitler in a past life and now he's being punished.

Clearly being in a house full of moody women was not one of his fantasies growing up...

Time for the facts:
- The baby is due January 6.
- We've been sitting on the name Lydia Kate for a year and a half now- even when we still fully intended for Kyra to be an only child. (Jer and I always play the baby naming game- we're weird like that) I asked Jer when they said it was a girl if he still wanted to use the name and his only comment was, "I still like the name if you do." But I wouldn't be too surprised if we up and decided to change the baby's name for no apparent reason. After all, we did seemingly up and decide to expand our family for no apparent reason.
- Kyra is aware there is a baby in my stomach. She thinks she can look in my mouth and "see the baby in Mommy's belly, RIGHT THERE! (jabs me in the stomach), and I can kiss her (plants kiss on the air in my still forced open mouth). And the doctor is gonna pull the baby out of Mommy's belly and it's gonna be all yucky and the baby will be my friend." We're not sure where she's picked up any of that last part since not a peep has been mentioned to or around her as how the baby is going to come out of my belly... She's just incredibly dead on with her imagination with that whole thought process.

There you go. Most of you guessed boy, as did I.

I guessed boy because this pregnancy has been so vastly different, with few exceptions, then my pregnancy with Kyra. I had hoped for a girl so I could reuse all of Kyra's super cute clothes and baby accessories but I would have been equally as thrilled if the baby did turn out to be a boy because then I get to go on a shopping spree!

Both sides of our family were hoping for a boy for completely different reasons. My side is full of girls. My brother was the only boy on our side with seven girls as either sisters or cousins. (at least he learned pretty quickly how to put the toilet seat down and not adjust himself in public) And Kyra is the only grandchild/great grandchild. Jer's side was hoping for a boy to carry on the family name and blah blah blah. (Once I made the comment that we could always adopt a boy and they banished the thought because an adopted kid wouldn't be the same, he wouldn't carry on the blood line and thus the true name. My father was adopted. Certainly you can see why I get bitter about this statement.)

I am over the moon thrilled to be having another little girl. But also a little sad because now I don't get that shopping spree.

Jeremy is very excited about having another girl because he knows what to do. But he's also a little sad because he wanted some testosterone in the house to even out the playing field.

I told him when we adopt we'll find a family with brothers who need a loving home. (Seriously, a family. My dream is to adopt a family of 4+ siblings who all need adopting. Yes, yes, Jer thinks I'm insane too.) Not only would he have that extra burst of manliness in the house, I'll be able to stick it to the in-laws and prove an adopted boy can be just as much a part of the family as a biological child is. Totally win-win.

For now, though, it's all girls around here. Maybe I should put Jeremy in direct contact with my brother to get advice on how to survive in a world full of naked barbies and hair bows.

10 comments:

  1. WOOOWOOO CONGRATS!!!! :D :D

    Kira had 3 white lines in her ultrasound as well. You're quite lucky in that you know -- with this one she wouldn't open her legs (the prissy little thing) so we are not positive at all. The sonographer said he's 75% sure so we could still be surprised at the birth (though I woke up after a dream and knew her name, just like with Kira which is the only reason we're thinking we're having another girl).

    Also, I love how "the doctor is gonna pull the baby out" of your tummy. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With Kyra we had NO idea what she was until she poped out. She refused, REFUSED!, to open her legs for any and all ultrasounds.

    This new kid is just proving to be the exact opposite from Kyra to the get-go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Chris could give Jeremy some pretty good pointers! He's nice and manly still, even growing up with the abundance of womens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the "it must be a girl because I don't see any boy parts".

    We were vaguely unsure with Claudia for a while for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. another girl! i must say i like girl clothes better so i was slightly wishing for a girl...but its true our family does need a little testosterone in it.either way its great! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for baby girls(I am a bit partial to them).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your semi-confirmation.

    I can understand Jeremy's family's point - I would like to have a boy one day because Jody is the end of the line (I doubt his gay brother will change his mind and decide he's actually straight) and I'd like to continue Jody's family name. And Jody's not even blood - he was adopted by his dad (although his mom is really his mother).

    ReplyDelete
  8. now Sean and Jeremy can commiserate even more about being outnumbered, lol. at least Jeremy's got male dogs. :-)

    congratulations!

    (we can still go on a minor shopping spree ... they are born in slightly different seasons)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!! The more girls the better! I love having two girls and so does Andy, Jeremy will just learn to play tea party and naked babies that much better! Who needs testosterone anyhow? Little girls are great, Payton fully showed us her girl parts the entire pregnancy and it was always three little lines!!!

    Take care of yourself and I will talk to you soon.

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  10. AW, I was wrong, just guessed that things were different this time. Wonderful news anyway!! Kyra will have so much fun with her little sister!!

    ReplyDelete