Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Oranges and Knives- Just Say No

My sister has nearly cut her finger off twice with a butter knife while cutting up fruit. I think I've topped her. While slicing an orange for Kyra's lunch today I nicked my finger with a steak knife. I'm a genius.After repositioning my hand I then stabbed myself in the palm. It's about a quarter inch deep and could probably use a stitch or two.
Because I'm a big 'ol baby and petrified of needles there will be no stitches for me. Instead I've consulted my MIL- who is a registered nurse and has an overwhelming number of hours logged in the ER- and she suggested scouring the dickens out of the wound then sealing it shut with superglue. (apparently that's what the ER uses, only with a purple dye)

The only problem is I can't find our superglue that I was certain Jeremy was harboring in his tool box. So instead I'm cleaning the dickens out of it, lathering up with some triple antibiotic sludge and sealing the whole mess up with a waterproof band aid for good measure.

The betting pool for how long it takes me before my hand is infected with gangrene is open. You may place your guesses, um.... now.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch - I've done that before. My guess is...4 days

    One Thanksgiving, my mother tried opening a can of cranberry sauce with a steak knife, and - I'm cringing just thinking about it - she sliced right into her hand at full speed. Ugh, that makes me ill just thinking about it. I hate seeing someone get hurt like that, especially my mother. Great - now I'm going to have that image running through my head all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite apart from your fear of needles, my mother recommends a tetnus shot ASAP.

    ReplyDelete