Thursday, March 24, 2011

On The...

Baking Front: Made banana oatmeal blueberry muffins for breakfast this morning.  I take the basic muffin recipe in my cookbook, add two browning bananas, 3/4 cup oatmeal and 1 cup of blueberries and VOILA!  delicious breakfast treat!  The girls think they are in heaven.   They might actually be in heaven if I'd just put the rest of the blueberries on their plates. But I can't.  More on that in a minute...

I also have 6 more bananas that have also browned.  Exactly the number needed for 2 loaves of banana bread.  Banana bread is much like any other baked good in my house... it doesn't last very long at all.  Jeremy and Lydia could each eat an entire loaf by themselves but I'm a mean ole broad who forces both of them to share with the rest of us.  I may even add some walnuts, this time-- which will only thrill Lydia's little taste buds to the core as she first tears apart the bread searching out every last nut before she consumes the bread itself.

I wanted to make this fruit leather today but I'm out of parchment paper.  That's what I need the blueberries for.  I was going to add them to the strawberries I already have in the fridge and give this new recipe a try.  With any luck, it'll turn out well and keep even better so I can pack some fruit leather for the girls to snack on during our really, really looooong trip in a couple weeks.

Health Front:  This morning Kyra reported that her ear doesn't hurt anymore.  Which is great and good, that means her new antibiotic is working.  But, ya know, wouldn't it just be LOVELY if she'd recognize when her ears hurt to begin with instead of acting like the world is totally against her and the only thing she can do is fall into a puddle of tears and anguish for 3 days?

Which, know what?  I guess puddles and anguish is an improvement over the whole acting completely normal and then waking up from a nap in hysterical tears because your ear hurts and turns out you have two completely infected, about to rupture ear drums.  Or the 103* fever she would run for 4 days but otherwise play happily and normally until I take her into the doctor and find out she has green ooze seeping from her ears. 

So, ya.  I think falling into a puddles of tears is definitely a step in the right direction.  She must be getting the hint that SOMETHING is wrong, if only she'd realize what is wrong.

Oh!  But you know what the downside of antibiotics is?  YEAST INFECTIONS!  Kyra's now complaining it hurts when she pees.  Isn't that just awesome!..? [insert eye roll]

Store Front: I guess since I'm out of parchment paper and now I need to get Kyra some cranberry juice and yogurt, I'll be heading to the store today.

Also, I found this milkshake recipe online on St. Patrick's Day.  Maybe I 'ought to add mint extract and vanilla ice cream to my list, too.  [giggling]  I hear from my friend, Joelle, that it tastes GREAT.  Mmm... yum!

2 comments:

  1. You kill me with all this food talk! I seriously want to be you when I grow up, except for the sick kids part. I "cooked" dinner last night by taking a frozen bag of stuff and sticking it in the microwave :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea how much I miss taking a frozen bag of stuff and sticking it in the microwave. Ah... life was simpler back then. :)

    ReplyDelete