Friday, February 11, 2011

Fair Warning: Do Not Try To Out Love Your Children In A School Zone. You'll Lose.

Today I got my first speeding ticket in, like, NINE YEARS.  Had you known me 10 years ago, you'd have known I had a very sweet and very fast Mustang and managed to accumulate enough tickets that the state REVOKED MY LICENSE.  Needless to say, I have since learned to slow my ass down.

I've slowed down so much so that Jeremy says I may be the only person in the world whose GPS says they'd get somewhere in 7 hours and it takes me 8. 

I'm just sayin'.... I'm not one of those 10mph over kind of drivers.

I swear, children have seriously taken the rebellion streak right out of me.

(OK... that and I will swear to you to this day that the Mustang's speedometer was OFF.  And I was a dumb 20 year old who knew the speedometer was OFF but listen to my parents when they said nothing wrong with the car, just the driver and her lead foot, and I continued to drive "slightly" over the speed limit and routinely receive tickets for 15 and 20 mph over.)

I am totally and completely bummed because I thought the speed limit was 35, which it kinda-sorta was... except for that thousand feet of 25mph school zone I apparently missed.  And I probably missed it because it's the size of a postage stamp and I was busy having this conversation with the kids:

Me: I love you!
Kyra: I LOVE YOU MORE!
Lydia: I wa yooou Mommy!
Me: I love you, too, Lydia!
Kyra: I LOVE YOU BUNCHES AND BUNCHES!
Lydia: I was yoooou bun'shees bun'shees!
Me: I love you all the way to the moon and starts and the cop that's now pulling me over.....

I was clocked at 41.  Because I was playing the I LOVE YOU! game with my kids. 

Seriously, Universe?  Seriously?  I was just trying to out love my children!

I get it.  School zone.  Children pay no attention to the world around them.  I rightfully earned my ticket.  Still.  It sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment