Monday, November 22, 2010

Pain is Gain?

Poor, poor Lydia.

Lydie had her very first dentist appointment bright and early at 7AM this morning.  We scheduled it because we noticed black spots on almost all of Lydia's teeth and feared a mouth full of cavities.

Good news is.... NO CAVATIES!  Just lots of iron deposits, probably from her prolonged use of formula.  And she didn't even fight the dentist the way she does the pediatrician!

Bad news is... I think whatever toothpaste they were using contained one of the forbidden "non allergic" ingredients.

I made note that shortly after they began administering the toothpaste to her teeth, around her mouth little red bumps began to appear. Lots of them. And it's come to my attention lately that these bumps seem to suddenly appear while she's eating random foods.  My theory is she's "not allergic" to a few more unknown ingredients.

Lydia loved the toothpaste.  We don't use it at home with her so this was a whole new taste experience.  And she LOVED it.  Ate as much of the cherry flavored stuff off her teeth as she could.

[Side note: I was told long ago, when Kyra first started going to the dentist, not to use toothpaste until they learn to spit.  Apparently swallowing the toothpaste isn't good for you and can lead to tooth discolorations.  This dentist also happens to agree.]

Cut to later this afternoon.  Lydia's bottom is quickly turning red from some kind "going" issue.  My guess is there was probably some kind of corn ingredient in the toothpaste that was used as a thickening or flavoring agent.  Possible both.  Lydia seems to have the absolute worst reactions (and quickest to present itself) when it comes to corn. 

If that's the case, then I'm slightly irritated at the dentist.  I filled out their form and wrote down all of her known "non allergies", was even questioned on them just for reiteration purposes. 

I wish I would have thought to stop and check, had been as vigilant with what the dentist was putting in her mouth like I am whenever someone other then me tries to put food in her mouth.  Next time I'll know.  She has her next check-up in 6 months.

Until then... YEA FOR NO CAVITIES!  But I can't help but wonder how much pain on Lydia's tummy and bottom is worth the gain?

Maybe a lesson learned.

~~~~~~~~

On another note,  Kyra had her 6 month check up today, too.  Her teeth.... are beautiful.  Lets hope they stay that way forever and ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment