Wednesday, September 29, 2010

This Is Where I Sort Though Both Thoughts and Schedules For All the World to See

Kyra's school work takes up about 1 hour, 3-4 times a week.  Right now, she studies reading, writing and arithmetic.  The three R's.  Or, well, what's to be considered the three R's when you have a southern accent.

Given that we only obligate 3-4 hours a week to "school"... we have a lot of free time on our hands.

In comes Kyra's extra curricular activities. 

She has swim lessons, piano lessons, horse riding lessons, art class, library time, ice skating, gymnastics, ballet/tap, 4-h, Girl Scouts, a catholic homeschool group and, during the colder months, a different homeschool bowling/playground/excuse for the kids to get together and play so we parents can sit and gossip group. 

All this is to say, some days are very easy for us while other days are just down-right-rotten. Luckily, only one day is actually down-right-rotten and even then, it's only down-right-rotten once every other week.

This week was the first time for that week.  We left the house early in the morning, 1 lunch and 2 snacks packed for each of us.  Lydie scored a one hour nap in the car which helped to ease the crankies just a smidge and by the time we got home- just before 6- we were plain old exhausted.

I've been mulling over that day, rolling it around in my brain, wondering if I should have Kyra drop something.  Cut her schedule down a bit.

Today, I think I've come to a conclusion.

Kyra is lucky enough to be my first born.  The one who gets to do things that Lydia and any subsequent children probably won't have the luxary of participating in.

Kyra is also the unlucky one to be my first born.  The one who I am inevitably going to screw up with, make mistakes and have multiple errors in judgment while trying to figure out this whole parenting thing.  She's kinda like my experimental child.

I think that I'm going to suck it up that one day every other week.  It'll be worth it.  Let Kyra get as much as she can out of life before Lydia starts demanding her fair share.  It's only a matter of time before I ask Kyra to start narrowing down her interests in order to transfer some of that time Lydia.  

I don't foresee our schedule becoming any less.  I do see it becoming more refined.

You know.  Eventually. 

It's really not a bad gig.  3-4 days a week we have things to do.  Once in a while, we have a shit load.  Then there's the other 3-4 days a week we have nothing.  We sit around, watch the leaves fall from the trees, talk about why they change colors and when we're done, we'll play a round of Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders.

And that's when I start to wonder why was I bitching about a single day in a sea of (mostly) easy.

It's funny how life always seems to work itself out.

No comments:

Post a Comment