Friday, November 03, 2006

Kyra's Tumble Down the Stairs

Yes, you heard that right. Kyra took a tumble down the stairs. It was six steps, but for and itty bitty toddler, six steps is a lot. Especially when your stupid, piece of junk baby gate doesn't even stop her fall! NO, she barreled right through it. It snapped right off from the mounting hinge. Did you get that? MY 20 POUND DAUGHTER MANAGED TO SNAP A GATE OFF AT THE POINT THAT IT SCREWS INTO THE WALL!!!

I have since removed the gate, damned it to hell for all eternity, and returned it to the store where I hope some machine smashes it into a million little pieces. I have also upgraded to another brand, with better looking mounting brackets, and a more expensive price... For $59.99 this new gate better come with a maid service.

I know, I hear you. Where was I during the falling episode? I was at the bottom of the stairs watching her (and Rachel, the other 1 year old I babysit) intently climbing up the stairs. Holding the free end of the gate in one hand (as I was about to follow them up the stairs), I turned for one second to tell the babies (my dogs) to stay . BAM, it happened that fast.

Kyra's good. She's fine. She has a small bruise on her forehead to show for the whole incident. Otherwise, I don't think she even remembers what happened. Me on the other hand... I believe I had a mini heart attack, and I'm suffering from Post Traumatic Shock. Not only that, but now I'm pretty sure that I'm the worst mother in the world.

Who does that? Who lets their daughter fall down the stairs and not catch her?

From now on I am going to be within arms reach of her at all times... "Just out of arms reach" isn't good enough for me anymore. No Ma'am. From here on out, I'm stepping up my mommy game.

4 comments:

  1. Alicia be easier on yourself... every mommy no matter how hard they try saves their babies from disasters. Goodness we have had our share. Sometimes I am standing right next to them and something happens. Thank God for Guardian Angels!

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey! i did it too! it may not have been six steps, but it was one and she landed forehead first on the cement! at least Kyra doesn't have everyone asking what happened (while secretly wondering if she was abused). lovins!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can say without a doubt you are not a bad mom for "letting" your daughter fall down the stairs. for one, she is a baby they fall to find out falling sucks. and for two i some how lived thru childhood and you pretty much raised me. the only way you would be considered a bad mother was if you actually threw her down the six steps....and we know you didnt do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey mean, bad Mama Lici, this is your favorite neighbor from GA, Barbara, remember me?The one who did and still does your hair occasionally. Well, poor Kyra may not remember the fall now but rest assured that I will be here to remind her that you were too busy tending to Rachel and the babies to look after her. You, her own mother! Look ashamed. I will be happy to tell her provided my Alzheimer's isn't too far advanced by then. Ha! Love y'all!!!

    ReplyDelete